Green Thought Thursday: The Abominable Plastic Grocery Bag
If you’re an avid follower of the News & Observer’s blog The Green Scene, then you might have caught this, too. Japanese inventor Akinori Ito has created a device that will turn all of those abominable plastic shopping bags into gasoline!
Are you as excited as I am? This means there’s a place besides the landfill for the reported 500 billion to 1 trillion bags used each year!
With a $10,000 price tag, though, I won’t have my hands on one of these babies any time soon. In the mean time, here are a few ways to reduce, reuse and recycle plastic grocery bags:
– While waiting to check out, bag your own groceries. If you do it yourself, you’re more likely to pack more groceries into one bag.
– I may sound like Captain Obvious here, but shop with reusable grocery bags. The best part is that you can usually snag a few for free during fairs, expos and school functions.
– Don’t have enough reusable grocery bags? Bring back your old plastic bags! They’re most likely good for another round or two of shopping before they give out.
– Scoop your poop! No bag is a better size for picking up doggie waste than a plastic grocery bag. Even the little bags you can buy at the pet store aren’t cutting it for ‘ol Charley boy!
– Pack your lunch in a plastic bag. It’s what I’ve had to do since I’ve completely destroyed two lunch boxes.
– Donate your bags. Food banks, dog parks and thrift stores often rely on these donations!
– Figure out where you can recycle plastic bags in your area. I recommend searching on Earth911.com. They have compiled a list of places in each city where you can drop off not only plastic bags, but also things like cell phones, batteries and ink cartridges.
– Encourage your local grocer to switch to 100% compostable plastic bags if they’re not using them already.
I know there’s a million other little ways to reduce, reuse and recycle plastic bags, and we want to hear them! Tell us how you’re keeping the planet green, one grocery bag at a time. We’ve got a special prize in store for our favorite greenie! Just submit your entries in the comments section below or on our Facebook page. Stay tuned for the winner…