NC Sweeps 2019 James Beard Nominations
On February 27, 2019, the James Beard Foundation announced its coveted list of Restaurant and Chef Awards semifinalists for 2019.
…and boy, did North Carolina talent make an appearance!
Occasionally dubbed the “Oscars” of the culinary realm, the James Beard Award program recognizes the outstanding achievements of food and beverage professionals throughout the United States. The awards present a cornerstone in the foundation’s mission to “celebrate, nurture and honor chefs and other leaders making America’s food culture more delicious, diverse and sustainable for everyone.”
Here in North Carolina, we’re privileged, thrilled, jazzed, pumped, sha-zammed (you name it!) to enjoy a rich culinary scene — from fine dining to craft breweries to original concepts that blend ethnic fusions.
So we want to give a huge shout out to the shining list of North Carolina food and beverage stars who were named 2019 James Beard semifinalists!
Best Chef: Southeast
- Katie Button, Cúrate, Asheville, NC
- Gregory Collier, Loft & Cellar, Charlotte, NC
- Steven Devereaux Greene, Herons, Cary, NC
- Oscar Diaz, Cortez, Raleigh, NC
- Meherwan Irani, Chai Pani, Asheville, NC
- Joe Kindred, Kindred, Davidson, NC
- Cheetie Kumar, Garland, Raleigh, NC
- Dean Neff, PinPoint, Wilmington, NC
Best New Restaurant
- The Stanley, Charlotte, NC
Outstanding Wine, Spirits, or Beer Producer
- Sean Lilly Wilson, Fullsteam Brewery, Durham, NC
Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Ashley Capps, Buxton Hall, Asheville, NC
From beer to BBQ, from fine dining to fish and seafood, the powerhouses run the gamut of mouthwatering cuisine. Congratulations to all of you! (And we’re already planning our next trips to your establishments!)
Written by Clairemont Intern Ru Wolle, a senior at NCSU.
Photos from Canva.